Lotus

Lotus

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Fighting Companion

Some people feel alone in the fight against rheumatoid arthritis.  It is difficult to explain the type of pain that is brought on by the flares and inflammation.  But, I am no longer alone in my fight.  In November 2016 my mother-in-law was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.  I have someone who I can talk to now who understands my pain, my mental anguish, my strengths, and my weaknesses. 

I feel that my mother-in-law has ended up here like so many others, through years of being misdiagnosed.  She really has been in pain for a long time, but she has had a back injury and has survived a few automobile accidents so most doctors related her pains to effects of traumatic injury.  Needless to say, she has been getting worse over time.  She has experienced the same pains and debilities that I have had.  When your hands hurt so much that just the sheet from your bed is enough to send you through the roof, or when you cannot articulate your fingers enough to prepare a meal.  I feel sorry that it has take this long to get a diagnosis, but relieved that she finally has an answer.  Might not be the answer she wanted, but now she doesn't have to go through this alone. 

It's funny how we grown up looking to our parents for support and advice.  I get to be the source of support and advice for my mother-in-law.  I was overwhelmed when I was first diagnosed and I did a lot of research on my own.  I can help answer her questions and help address her concerns on a personal level. 

We are awaiting her first appointment with a rheumatologist.  The only blood work she has had so far is basic labs and a rheumatoid factor.  Anxiously awaiting the first set of labs and x-rays from the rheumatologist here in the near future.  I am very curious as to her CCP levels, which reflect how aggressive the RA is in a person.  Mine categorizes me as moderate to severe and I am praying she does not have as high of a level as I.  The sooner she gets her appointment, the sooner she can start treatment. 

I am pretty close to my mother-in-law.  I have actually known her most of my life.  This disease will only bring us closer.  We don't even need to speak to be able to know the pain each other has endured, and will possibly continue to endure. 

She is just now starting her journey.  It will last the rest of her life.  We will fight it together.  All we can do is be there for one another, support one another, love one another, and hope for a cure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment